Weighty Benefits from Above: How to Choose the Right Roofing Materials | Great Canadian Roofing & Siding
You’ve been saving money for a while now, waiting for just the right opportunity to re-do your roof. But which roof should you choose? It’s time to weigh the benefits against potential disadvantages.
Let’s break it down by roofing type.
There are at least two basic types of asphalt shingles: traditional (3-tab style) and architectural.
Here are some benefits of asphalt shingles:
- They are the least expensive of all shingle types
- They’re low maintenance—and easy to walk on when you need to inspect your roof
- They come in a variety of colours
- They’re very easy to repair (due to simplicity of cutting/fitting)
- Architectural styles are thicker and their look mimics slate shingles
- They may not last as long as other types of shingles
- They may be blown off or damaged in windy conditions
- They can be damaged by excessive heat or mildew
Here are just a few benefits of cedar roofs:
- They’re attractive, long-lasting, and have great curb appeal
- They’re resilient
- They provide energy benefits and insulation
- Need for regular maintenance
- Flammability in dry climates
Metal roofing may be less-known than other options, but it offers considerable benefits:
- It’s lightweight, durable, and virtually maintenance-free
- It offers tax incentives and energy benefits